Breakfast Sausage Recipe
Who doesn’t love a tasty piece of breakfast sausage from free range pigs allowed to bask in the sun in grassy fields? So yummy and tasty! One thing I’ve noticed is that it is hard to find a nice sausage with exactly the ingredients I want… especially a sausage made without sugar or corn syrup! If you’ve never read the ingredients on your sausage you may be surprised to find that sugar is very commonly the first ingredient on the list (besides pork).
Upon checking a common store brand the list of ingredients was not what I’d want for my family’s breakfast: Pork, Water, Salt, Corn Syrup Solids, Flavorings, Maple Syrup, Lemon Juice and Dextrose. That is 3 different kinds of sweeteners! Flavorings can mean anything at all, but most commonly refers to MSG (monosodium glutamate), which causes adverse reactions in many people .
Why get a sausage with all those funky ingredients when it is so quick and easy to make your own? Simply mix some spices into ground pork, shape the sausages and cook as normal. It really isn’t much extra work and you can control exactly what goes in your sausage.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- scant 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon each of dried sage and thyme
- heaping 1/8 teaspoon each of dried rosemary, nutmeg
- dash of cayenne and red pepper flakes (or more if you like more heat)
- Mix all ingredients and blend well with clean hands. Form into to patties and use immediately or allow the flavors to meld in the fridge for up to a day. Cook and serve as normal.