For those who are trying to eat a grain/gluten free coconut flour is awesome for making the occasional baked goods. Coconut flour is rich in protein, fiber and healthy fats, which makes it a very filling ingredient. It is also naturally gluten free.
Dried coconut is finely ground to produce coconut flour. If you are industrious you can even try making your own coconut flour, but as it is rather complicated and I prefer to buy it pre-made. Coconut Secret is the brand I use most often. You can find it at health stores on buy online.
Tips for Cooking with Coconut Flour
- Substitute up to 20% coconut flour in place of standard grain-based flour in recipes
- Coconut flour can be substituted at a 1:1 ratio when used for breading on meats or veggies.
- When cooking with coconut flour as the main flour, you need far less flour than you would in a standard recipe, but you will need a lot more liquids since coconut flour is 4 times as absorbent as wheat flour. The coconut flour will soak up liquids as it sits so don’t be tempted to cut back on the liquids in a recipe with coconut flour.Once you mix the recipe let it rest for 5 minutes to fully absorb the liquids.
- Thoroughly blend recipes using coconut flour to avoid clumps.
- For every cup of coconut flour used, you generally need 5-6 eggs and 1 cup of liquids (such as milk).
COCONUT FLOUR WAFFLES from Deliciously Organic
COCONUT FLOUR PIZZA CRUST from This Chick Cooks
COCONUT FLOUR CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES from Cooking Traditional Foods
COCONUT FLOUR POUND CAKE from Healthy Indulgences
COCONUT FLOUR APPLE PANCAKES from This Chick Cooks
COCONUT FLOUR PIE CRUST from The Coconut Mama
LEMON POPPYSEED PANCAKES from The Roasted Root
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES from This Chick Cooks
COCONUT FLOUR BACON BISCUITS from Primal Den Mother
COCONUT FLOUR SWEET POTATO PANCAKES from This Chick Cooks
COCONUT FLOUR BLUEBERRY MUFFINS from Wholesome Home
SCALLOPED SWEET POTATOES from A Girl Worth Saving
PALEO AND GLUTEN FREE TORTILLAS from Zest Bakery
GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE AND VANILLA MARBLED CUPCAKES from Parenting
COCONUT FLOUR CREPES from Healing Foods Cookbook
COCONUT FLOUR DOUGHNUTS from Pragmatic Paleo
CLEAN EATING FREEDOM BROWNIES from The Gracious Pantry
GRAIN FREE ROSEMARY FOCACCIA BREAD from Living Nutrition
SPICE MUFFINS MADE WITH COCONUT FLOUR from Thrive Style
(I’d use maple syrup as the sweetener)
COCONUT AND DARK CHOCOLATE POPOVERS from Doughmesstic
(note: These contain white flour which would be a VERY rare treat. Use either unbleached white flour or try a sprouted white winter wheat)
BERRY BREAKFAST CRUMBLE from This Chick Cooks
COCONUT FLOUR TORTILLAS from askgeorgie.com
COCONUT FLOUR CAKE WITH COCONUT FROSTING from Nourished Kitchen
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI MUFFINS from This Chick Cooks
CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY COCONUT FLOUR CUAKES from The Nourishing Gourmet
COCONUT FLOUR BREAD from Nourished Kitchen
PUMPKIN BREAD from Loving Our Guts
MINI CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES from The Nourishing Gourmet
BACON ARUGULA AND CHEDDAR QUICHE from Loving our Guts
Helpful Resources for Cooking with Coconut Flour:
- Cooking with Coconut Flour: A Delicious Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Alternative to Wheat
- Coconut Flour! 47+ Irresistible Recipes for Baking with Coconut Flour: Perfect for Gluten Free, Celiac and Paleo Diets
- 20 Incredible Coconut Flour Recipes
- Baking with Coconut Flour
- A Primer: Baking with Coconut Flour
Do you have any tips for cooking with coconut flour or favorite coconut flour recipes? Share them in the comments below.
Coconut Image credit: picsfive / 123RF Stock Photo