Ground Beef and Butternut Squash Soup
Ground beef and cubed butternut squash come together in an unlikely but delicious flavor combination. Onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin and cilantro give it a uniquely tasty presentation. From start to finish, this soup can be on the table in less than 30 minutes, making it a winner for weeknight meals.
Ground Beef and Butternut Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2.5-3 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- 1 can tomatoes with chiles
- 2 cups broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons each of chili powder, cumin
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef and spices and cooke until there is only a slight bit of pink left in the meat.
- Add squash and broth, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
- Stir in tomato and serve. GServe plain or garnish with jalapeño rings, sour cream or shredded cheese, if desired.