Thanksgiving is such a wonderful time to give thanks for all of our blessings and enjoy good food and good company with these we love. Once the main hoopla has ended, we usually have lots of leftovers to use. I hope you’ll enjoy these simple ideas for adding fun and variety to those leftovers:
- Potato Pancakes- Make some savory pancakes using your leftover mashed potatoes. Stir in enough eggs to make a nice batter, and maybe even some cheese, garlic, chives or diced onion and fry up in the skillet just as you would normal pancakes. Enjoy topped with sour cream or applesauce.
- Sweet Potato Oatmeal- Got some left over sweet potato puree or a mashed sweet potato? Make some oatmeal as you normally would or make steel cut oats in the crock pot. Stir in some sweet potatoes and a bit of butter and/or cream just before serving.
- Flourless Sweet Potato Pancakes- Use up your leftover mashed sweet potatoes to make some grain free sweet potato pancakes.
- Corn Pancakes- Leftover corn gets turned into savory and delicious hot cakes.
- Frittata- Got a bunch of leftover veggies? Scramble up some eggs and add in some turkey, veggies top with cheese for a tasty frittata.
Lunch or Dinner
- Bone Broth- Use that extra turkey to make some bone broth. It is so nourishing and simple!
- Turkey Club Pizza- Make up a coconut crust or grain free crust and top it off with some diced turkey, pesto, sliced tomatoes, cheese and crumbled bacon for a turkey club pizza.
- Turkey and Dumplings- This would be a tasty use for your homemade broth :)
- Turkey Fried Rice- Stir fry some rice along with some soaked brown rice or basmati, add in some healthy fats, veggies, eggs and soy sauce and you’ve got a delicious meal. Agriculture Society has a simple guideline.
- Turkey Pot Pie- Katie over at Kitchen Stewardship used her leftover turkey diced up with some veggies and topped with leftover mashed potatoes for a shepherd’s pie.
- Potato Soup- Use up some of those leftover mashed potatoes in a creamy potato soup.
- Turkey and Vegetable Hash- Edible Mosaic shared a dish with turkey sautéed with lots of yummy veggies. Be sure to use a healthy fat like butter or lard.
- Turkey Salad- Sub in turkey in place of chicken in your favorite chicken salad recipe. My favorite is a sweet and savory recipe with things like mayo, apple, raisins, celery and maybe some grapes.
- Turkey and Vegetable Minestrone- Use your turkey stock to make some of this soup. Yum!
- Salad- Dice up the cooked turkey and serve atop fresh greens with a rainbow of fresh veggies and your favorite dressing. Try sweet onion poppyseed! Crispy seeds would also be a tasty addition to any salad.
- Turkey Wraps- Use diced up turkey with mayo, shredded cheese, greens and some fresh tomato served wrapped up in a tortilla or lettuce leaf (for a grain free option).
Desserts and Miscellaneous
- Cranberry Cheesecake- Got leftover cranberry sauce? Use it to make some of this tasty looking cranberry cheesecake.
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie- Tired of pumpkin pie that same old way? Use it up to make a smoothie in place of the pumpkin puree.
- Sweet Potato Dip- from Food Network
Want even more ideas for using up those thanksgiving leftovers? Check out these posts:
- Thanksgiving Left Over Ideas from Nourished Kitchen (Jenny’s blog is awesome.. you’ll love it)
- 5 Uses for Leftover Turkey from 100 Days of Real Food
- 50 Totally Awesome Recipes for Thanksgiving Leftovers from Family Fresh Cooking
What’s your favorite way to use up thanksgiving leftovers?