Legal Disclaimer: Any statements made about coconut have not been evaluated by the FDA and aren’t intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. All information provided is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or health care professional. Always consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new program or diet, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem.
Coconut is an amazing food! Coconut oil is a very shelf stable oil that will last for months without going rancid and is highly valued for cooking at high temperatures. Unlike polyunsaturated oils which go rancid and oxidize at high temperatures, coconut oil remains stable. You definitely don’t want to cook with oils that will oxidize as this causes an attack on your body cells which can cause aging skin, plaque in blood vessels, tumors and many more things.
Coconut is source of laurie acid, which is both antimicrobial and anti fungal. Our bodies need lauric acid, which is also found in mother’s breast milk. Unlike saturated fats, which body can create from carbs, lauric acid must be obtained from our food sources, such as coconut.
Uses for coconut oil (other than cooking):
- Cure for dry skin- After years skin that itched so bad, cracked and evenbleed, homemade balm has been a life saver. It allows me not to suffer from chronic skin irritations in winter (or any season).
- For Athlete’s Foot- Use as a natural remedy for athlete’s foot. Apply several times throughout the day. You can even mix a few drops of tea tree essential oil for extra anti-fungal power. If you suffer from athlete’s foot you may have candida overgrowth.
- Blemish Fighter and Moisturizer- I’ve actually heard that coconut oil helps with acne and many ladies regularly use in on their faces.
- Fight the Frizzies- Just a teeny bit rubbed on your palms and smoothed through the hair (more towards the ends) is amazing for naturally frizz prone hair.
- Oil Pulling- Oil pulling is like using coconut oil instead of listerine to swish around in your mouth. It is supposed to be amazing for your dental health and I’ve heard from several people who said it helped them to heal gum disease. Read more about oil pulling.
- Improve Thyroid Function- Numerous sites and people claim that taking coconut oil by the spoonful has helped them with hypothyroid. Start with a small amount and work your way up to several tablespoons a day.
- Relieve Feminine Itching- Use to relieve feminine itch.
- For Popping Popcorn- Popcorn popped in a pan with plenty of coconut oil and topped with melted butter just may be the most amazing snack…ever!
- As a Pick Me Up- Did you know that your body can immediately use coconut oil for energy? Just eat a spoonful or put some in your tea or smoothie.
- For a Natural Cleanse- Coconut oil has natural properties that help fight parasites and candida albicans overgrowth.
These ideas are just the tip of the iceberg. Coconut oil has SO many different uses! It is truly an amazing super food. When you’re looking to buy coconut oil, look for oil that is not hydrogenated, bleached or deodorized. (what I buy) You might also want to check out 122 Uses for Coconut Oil from Delicious Obsessions, 101 Uses for Coconut Oil from Natural News and 101 Uses for Coconut Oil from Wellness Mama.
Favorite Coconut Recipes
There are so many amazing recipes that can be created using coconut products such as coconut flour, coconut milk, shredded coconut, coconut cream and coconut oil! Here are some favorites you’re sure to love!
Coconut Crack (no bake and quick!)
Coconut Flour Pizza Crust (a reader favorite!)
Homemade Kefir (a probiotic super beverage!)
Chicken Bites (SO good!)
Mixed Berry Breakfast Bars (grain free and gluten free)
Even more tasty coconut recipes:
- How to Make Organic Coconut Flour from Whole LIfestyle Nutrition
- Chocolate Coconut Cubes (candida friendly) from Whole Intentions
- Grain Free Blueberry Muffins from Storms Stories
- Easiest Coconut Milk from Whole New Mom
- How to Cook with Coconut Flour from Whole Lifestyle Nutrition
- 25 Insane Coconut Treats from Beyond the Peel
- Chicken Enchiladas from Storms Stories
- Coconut Secret Bars from Tessa Domestic Diva
- Coconut Garlic and Chives Biscuits from Storms Stories
- Easy Peasy Energy Bars from Modern Alternative Kitchen
- Gingerbread Cookies from The Coconut Mama (they’re grain free)
- Coconut Flour Belgian Waffles from Whole Lifestyle Nutrition
Had success with a coconut remedy? Have a favorite coconut recipe? Share it in the comments!