Do you ever come across a certain idea and immediately know that you must try it? I had a ripe avocado sitting in the fridge just waiting to get used up and debated on whether to use it for guacamole, no cook chocolate pudding or even a blueberry avocado smoothie.
But, since I am always wanting to try new things, I decided to take a quick look on Pinterest to see what would come up if I searched for avocado. Boy am I glad I did! I never even thought of battering and frying an avocado.
This version of avocado fries is my own creation that is both grain and gluten free. They turned out to be amazing with a crunchy “breading” on the outside and the creamy avocado to perfectly complement it. Hello, yummy! I challenge you to eat just one fry. These are perfect all by themselves. But, you could use some sour cream or mayo for dip if you’d like.
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled
- 1 egg, gently beaten
- oil for frying such as lard, tallow etc...
- Cut an avocado lengthwise into about 10-12 slices. In a bowl mix together flour, arrowroot, salt and pepper. Dip slices in egg and then dip the slices into the flour mixture and use a spoon to help completely coat them in the flour crust.
- In a skillet (cast iron works well) heat enough oil to form a shallow layer about 1/8 inch deep. Cook on medium/medium high for a few minutes per side, or until lightly golden. Place the cooked fries on a plate lined with a paper towel. You may wish to keep them warm in the oven once they are done until the rest of the slices finish up.
- Serve plain or use mayo or sour cream to dip.
What’s your favorite food to fry?